Monday, March 19, 2018

THE WRAP UP-- SATURDAY'S ATHENS-CLARKE COUNTY LIBRARY'S INDIE AUTHOR DAY AND SUNDAY'S ATLANTA COMIC CONVENTION! BUSY WEEKEND!


This was a busy weekend for this road weary author, but I had an absolutely amazing at two wonderful events, one of Saturday, March 17th and one on Sunday, March 18th. I'm thankful I was able to make it out to these events. On the Friday before the events, I threw out my back and hip, which caused a fun sciatica flareup that kept me pretty well immobilized that day and unable to walk easily. Thankfully, I was feeling better on Saturday so I was able to attend. I was moving slow, but I was moving.

Saturday's event was the Athens-Clarke County Library's Indie Author Day in Athens, GA. The event ran from noon until 5 p.m. I arrived around 11 a.m. to set up and look around the library as it was my first time visiting this particular branch. Panels ran from 12 - 2 with book selling and meeting the authors from 2 - 5. I met several authors and reconnected with some friends I haven't seen in a while. It turned out to be a great networking weekend as well with some future opportunities coming out of it. Never a bad thing when that happens.

A Big Thank You to Ashley Shull for being a gracious host and panel moderator. I had a great time and hope to be back next year.

Schedule:
My best Carnac impression
12-1 PM My Self-Publishing Journey: a panel discussion with self-published authors (I was on this panel and it was a lot of fun. I'd like to thank my co-panelists Mokah Johnson, Katherine Cerulean, and Eric whose last name I can't recall, sorry, for such a great conversation.)
1-2 PM How to Market your Self or Indie Published Book: a discussion with Bob Babcock of Deeds Publishing (I enjoyed talking marketing with Bob and Pam. I picked up a few ideas to try.)
2-4 PM Indie Author Marketplace: meet and mingle with indie and self-published authors as well as purchase their titles!
4-5 PM Reception/Clean-up

I capped off Saturday by having dinner with my friends, Jeff and Berni. It's always great hanging out with them. Berni and I are co-writing a novel together so it was fun to catch up on that as well. All in all, a fun day, but boy was I tired and sore when I got home.

On Sunday, I was a guest at the Atlanta Comic Convention Atlanta, GA. This is a 1 day comic book show that happens 4 times a year. I've been attending since the early days, which is like 26 years or so. WOW, that makes me feel old. ACC (for those of us too lazy to continually type out Atlanta Comic Convention) runs from 11 a.m. - 5 p.m., although it starts slowing down around 4 p.m. for some reason.

ACC is a shopping show with a few guests and is always a fun time. I enjoy hanging out with local creators, finding great deals, and just relaxing and talking. It doesn't get much better than that. There is usually one main guest at the show and this time it was my friend, Drew Geraci. Drew is an artist who inked many of your favorite characters including Batman, the Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, and more. He's also written a couple of novels featuring a rock band who runs afoul of the Russian mob called The Demands. A fun read.

My table at ACC.
It's always great seeing friends at the con. Way too many to mention here (and I fear I would inadvertently leave someone off the list by mistake), but it was great hanging out and talking with you all. Capped off the day hanging out with my buddy, Ben Eller and then dinner with Drew. It was a fun day talking comics. As with Saturday, I was tired and sore when I got home, but I had a great day. I even managed to ell a couple of books, which is always a nice bonus. Big Thanks, as always to Wes and Dave Tillander for taking such good care of me.

The next ACC is July 8th. I hope to see you there.

Bobby

Click Read More... to see more photos from the weekend. Click on images for a larger view.


I'm not sure what I was saying here, but it seems important.

My table.

Mokah Johnson, Katherine Cerulean, and Bobby Nash

Showing off my books to the audience

Mokah Johnson, Katherine Cerulean, and Bobby Nash

Eric, Mokah Johnson, Katherine Cerulean, and Bobby Nash

Bob Babcock of Deeds Publishing

setting up authors alley

Setting up authors alley



My ACC table

Drew Geraci and Roxanne Starr


My haul from the con. Daring Dames reprints one of my older stories.

buying comics

Creators

Great Wonder Woman cosplay

Great Jessica Jones cosplay. I was expecting her to flip me the bird. :)

No comments: